RE: WEEI - Must they...

Well, it may not have been in 1978, but at one time,
because of WITS's crappy 5-kW night signal from the N
Quincy site, the night games were simulcast on WDLW 1330
in Waltham.

Also, one of the talk guys on WITS (at some point--
probably not 1978) was Steve Fredericks (real name:
Steve Ochsman). Fredericks may well have been the most
taleted talk guy ever on Boston radio (and that may be
true right up to the present). I think it's a toss-up
between him and Gene Burns. His love was sports, but
mostly on WMEX and WITS he did issue-oriented talk. He
was top flight at both kinds of talk and certainly
appealed to younger--and presumably broader--demos than
Burns did.

I believe that when he left Boston to return to his
native Philadelphia, he went to a sports-talk station
(presumably WIP because I think it was the only sports
talker in Philly for many years). I don't know what
became of him. I heard that he had a serious drinking
problem. (If I recall, he even owned up to it on the
air.) But it never seemed to affect his work. Perhaps he
is no longer living. If so, he died at a very early age.
If anyone has any information on his whereabouts, I'd be
interested in hearing.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205