WNYE-FM 91.5 Coming In Consistently While WJUL is Off-the-Air

My company (not a broadcaster) is generous with its benefits, so I
have this week off...I get 4 weeks of vacation PLUS 10 holidays; ridiculous!
So today, while fiddling around the FM dial between 9:00 am and 10:00 am at home in exotic Methuen, MA, I noticed that WJUL-FM 91.5 at the University
of Lowell was off-the-air.  This happens a lot for some reason, but what
I heard was not WMFO, or WSDH, but NPR programming.  So I kept the radio
on 91.5 until station ID time.  First a female voice said "This is
WNYE New York, then a male came on and went through a litany like:
"This is WNYC-FM and AM and WNYE."  Well sometimes there's a little
skip in the morning but every hour until noon the station was still
there (sounds like the national anthem). Wow, 20K at 400 feet or so can
really travel if there's no full-power station in the way.
The odd thing is, because WNYE's transmitter is east of Manhattan,
some people in northern NJ and parts of metro NYC probably had trouble
receiving it, and here I am 250 miles away with an audible signal!

Laurence Glavin

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp