Re: WNYE-FM 91.5 Coming In Consistently While WJUL is Off-the-Air

    WNYE-FM (91.5) is usually the first FM station to
start coming in during a "tropo bending" in
Massachusetts, from the NYC area.  I do engineering at
WBIM-FM, at Bridgewater State College (also @ 91.5).
I live about 10 miles north of our station.  Since I
live in the null of our pattern (to protect
WSHL-FM/91.3) WBIM gets clobbered during any opening
to NYC from WNYE.  Most times I get a fine stereo
signal from WBIM, but those 20,000 watts from Brooklyn
are a force to be reckoned with.  But, you must have a
lot of respect with WNYE.  I do! It was one of the few
APEX stations that moved to FM that still is operating
with the same corporate owner (The City of New York)!!
Think about it!!  73.

-Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
 Whitman, Massachusetts

--- Laurence Glavin <lglavin@lycos.com> wrote:
> My company (not a broadcaster) is generous with its
> benefits, so I
> have this week off...I get 4 weeks of vacation PLUS
> 10 holidays; ridiculous!
> So today, while fiddling around the FM dial between
> 9:00 am and 10:00 am at home in exotic Methuen, MA,
> I noticed that WJUL-FM 91.5 at the University
> of Lowell was off-the-air.  This happens a lot for
> some reason, but what
> I heard was not WMFO, or WSDH, but NPR programming.
> So I kept the radio
> on 91.5 until station ID time.  First a female voice
> said "This is
> WNYE New York, then a male came on and went through
> a litany like:
> "This is WNYC-FM and AM and WNYE."  Well sometimes
> there's a little
> skip in the morning but every hour until noon the
> station was still
> there (sounds like the national anthem). Wow, 20K at
> 400 feet or so can
> really travel if there's no full-power station in
> the way.
> The odd thing is, because WNYE's transmitter is east
> of Manhattan,
> some people in northern NJ and parts of metro NYC
> probably had trouble
> receiving it, and here I am 250 miles away with an
> audible signal!
>
> Laurence Glavin
>

> Make a difference, help support the relief efforts
> in the U.S.
> http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp

=====
Peter Q. George (K1XRB)