Re: Patriotic Music 101

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna Halper" <dlh@donnahalper.com>
To: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 1:43 AM
Subject: Re: Patriotic Music 101

> HUH???  I was asking about a programming change.  I am neither for it or
> against it.  I was merely asking, since this is a list populated by radio
> people, why a particular element of WEEI's programming got changed and how
> long did people think it would last.  Read into it what you will.

I inferred from your post that you objected to the Sox running commercials
instead of the anthem.  I stand corrected.

>I don't think opposing war is always
> an accurate criterion for how much patriotism one has--

It wasn't opposing war that I found most offensive.  It was the comment
about terrorism happening everyday.  On top of being inaccurate, 6000 people
are not killed by terrorists everyday, it minimized the tragedy.  Her
comments about "showing restraint" also seemed to indicate that she thought
we would go off half-cocked and start bombing indiscriminately.  I found
that insulting.  Her comments also made no distinction between terrorism and
response to terrorism.  She seems to think they are  morally equivalent.

>I don't think showing
> "symbolic support" is an accurate measure  of patriotism either

We agree.

>I show my patriotism by

I didn't question your patriotism.  I questioned what I thought was an
inconsistency in your posts.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine