Re: Patriotic Music 101

>Dan B wrote--
>I find it interesting that you defended Madonna's comments made just days
>after the terrorists attack but you apparently take offense to the Sox
>network not playing the anthem.  Not showing symbolic support for the
>country on a daily basis is offensive but making substantive criticisms of
>the country at a time of crisis is not?

HUH???  I was asking about a programming change.  I am neither for it or
against it.  I was merely asking, since this is a list populated by radio
people, why a particular element of WEEI's programming got changed and how
long did people think it would last.  Read into it what you will.  As for
Madonna, last time I checked, the First Amendment still guarantees her the
right to say whatever she wishes about this country, and it also guarantees
you the right to disagree with her.  I don't think opposing war is always
an accurate criterion for how much patriotism one has-- after several of my
friends died in Viet Nam, even my father (a political conservative and a
decorated combat vet from WW2) began to question that war and could not
totally support it; even Walter Cronkite came to object to the government's
policies, and let's not question *his* patriotism.   I don't think showing
"symbolic support" is an accurate measure  of patriotism either -- those
who wave the flag and spout the right slogans for the cameras may be no
more and no less patriotic than those of us who love our country in a more
quiet way.   I show my patriotism by working with the Muslims in my
community to ensure their safety from dummies who want to condemn American
citizens just because of where they came from.  I show my patriotism by
defending the right of any citizen to speak his/her mind peacefully,
whether I agree or not.  But I will not march in lockstep with any
president, even one I voted for, if that president does things that I feel
are wrong.  And to me, that too is patriotic.  Hope you will agree.