Re: Patriotic Music 101

On 25 Sep 2001, at 0:40, Bob Nelson...WMWM wrote:

> By the way, speaking of patriotic songs: two very famous patriotic songs
> actually featured new words to old melodies. "The Star Spangled Banner"
> has Francis Scott Key's lyrics added to an old English drinking song, "To
> Anachreon in Heaven", while "My Country Tis of Thee" is set to the tune
> of "God Save the Queen/King". I thought it was weird when I was young and
> they'd show Queen Elizabeth on TV, with the latter song playing... "hey,
> why are they playing 'My Country Tis Of Thee' in England?" :)

I remember watching Queen Elizabeth's coronation on TV and
recognizing "My Country 'Tis of Thee."  And my mother explained that it
was "God Save the King," then added, "It's 'God Save the Queen' now."

"America the Beautiful" is also set to an existing tune, an Episcopal
Church hymn known as "O Mother Dear, Jerusalem" or :Materna."

 15 Court Square, Suite 210          lawyer@attorneyross.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503           http://www.attorneyross.com