Re: Patriotic Music 101

> the Red Sox, as they
> did during the Gulf War and after Oklahoma City, are
> not dumping out for
> commercials during the playing of our national
> anthem-- rather, they are
> staying for the singing of it.  How long do you
> think that will last before
> they go back to using the time for commercials
> again?

Probably by next season, unless the team's new owners
(whomever they may be) insist on the radio
broadcasters
airing the anthem.

By the way, speaking of patriotic songs: two very
famous patriotic songs actually featured new words
to old melodies. "The Star Spangled Banner" has
Francis Scott Key's lyrics added to an old English
drinking song, "To Anachreon in Heaven", while
"My Country Tis of Thee" is set to the tune of
"God Save the Queen/King". I thought it was weird
when I was young and they'd show Queen Elizabeth
on TV, with the latter song playing... "hey, why
are they playing 'My Country Tis Of Thee' in
England?" :)

And who wrote two other famed patriotic songs? If
I remember right, Irving Berlin wrote "God Bless
America" while Falmouth native Kathleen Lee Bates
wrote "America the Beautiful".