Re: "WBZ Boston, USA"

Dan writes:

> In my book, the first thing BZ should lose are those
> positioners by that totally inane voiceover guy who kind
> of half whispers. On the day after the WTC collapse, he
> sounded absolutely _thrilled_ to be announcing "America
> Under Attack."

Same voice guy at WVMT (620 Burlington).  He sounds like a younger Mason
Adams (Smuckers..gotta be good) but almost "one note" with whispered
intensity.  It works in doses.  Although I'm sure no one was "thrilled" I
get what you're saying in that it was one of those "crisis of the day"
here packages.  This was no crisis-of-the-day.

Chuck Igo makes a good point on the "USA" issue.  WBZ can't be accused of
being a latecomer station to issues and reporting; as a heritage signal,
it's been a go-to for thousands over the years.  From my distance to the
market, I can catch 1030 24/7 but with a liveable s/n after CH.  With an
unfortunate tragedy like this, gone are the unfortunate recent WBZ style
lead-ins like, "If you have a circular driveway, chances are you don't
have to back-out into the street.  That's the word from a federal study
just released.  Jay McQuade has more....."  (Okay, a bit of an
exaggeration but....)

Bill O'Neill