RE: Military respones, when appropriate?

On 17 Sep 2001, at 16:13, Paul Hopfgarten wrote:

> The USSR campaign in Afghanistan failed (IMHO) for the same reason Vietnam
> failed. #1 Not a clearly-defined goal/end point, and #2 lack of support by
> the country conducting the assault.

I think the main reason Vietnam failed was that Johnson kept trying to
fight a conventional war and failed to understand guerilla warfare.
Kennedy understood guerilla warfare and was trying to copy the
successful British counter-insurgency campaign in Malaya.  I've often
wondered how Vietnam might have played out had Kennedy not been
assasinated.

What I fear is that Bush doesn't understand the difference either.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210          lawyer@attorneyross.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503           http://www.attorneyross.com