RE: Madonna calls for peace at Los Angeles concert

On 16 Sep 2001, at 13:48, Paul Hopfgarten wrote:

> No question some people go off the deep end (both extremes, and I've never
> been a fan of the Farwells of the world), but most Americans are good
> people that are demanding that this worst of tragedies, a real act of war,
> be answered.

I think you mean Falwell.

> I'll also say that people like Hillary Clinton and Maxine Waters have
> actually suprised me. Still wouldn't vote for them for dog catcher, but
> clearly they (and virtually all American elected officials) understand the
> need for unity in the face of real (if difficult to pin down) enemy.

I was glad to hear today that Bill Clinton said that Americans should
trust President Bush to make the right decisions in this crisis.  This is
the way Americans are supposed to come together in a crisis, and it's
right that Democrats should support the President now -- thought I keep
having this gnawing doubt that, if Clinton were still President, the
Republicans would be quite so quick to get behind him.

> I think that's what bothers me about Madonna's statement. I'd love to ask
> her the same question I posted here a short while ago....when is Military
> Action appropriate....because I (sadly) believe there are a few in this
> nation that think it's NEVER an option. (Defending Democracy is a costly
> action, and that's simply an unfortunate act. THERE IS NO UTOPIA PEOPLE!)

That's why Madonna is a singer, not a politician.

> Like it or not,at the base line (in my opinion) the Bin-Ladens et al are
> anti-semites, and when the layers of BS are removed, it's their hatred of
> Israel and Judaism that really at the crux of the issue. (PS: I'm Catholic)

Actually, from what I've been hearing, it's more a question of having
been deeply offended at the U.S. military presence in the Middle East,
and in particular on the sacred soil of Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210          lawyer@attorneyross.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503           http://www.attorneyross.com