RE: Madonna calls for peace at Los Angeles concert

Secondary follow-up:

No question some people go off the deep end (both extremes, and I've never
been a fan of the Farwells of the world), but most Americans are good people
that are demanding that this worst of tragedies, a real act of war, be
answered.

I'll also say that people like Hillary Clinton and Maxine Waters have
actually suprised me. Still wouldn't vote for them for dog catcher, but
clearly they (and virtually all American elected officials) understand the
need for unity in the face of real (if difficult to pin down) enemy.

I've got to believe that everyone has to believe this deed must not go
unpunished.

I think that's what bothers me about Madonna's statement. I'd love to ask
her the same question I posted here a short while ago....when is Military
Action appropriate....because I (sadly) believe there are a few in this
nation that think it's NEVER an option. (Defending Democracy is a costly
action, and that's simply an unfortunate act. THERE IS NO UTOPIA PEOPLE!)

As far as those religions that are pacifist in nature, #1 I'd like to see
them try to practice their religion in Iran or Iraq or China or in a
Bin-Laden led nation. It's easy to be pacifist in a Democracy.

AND...I don't think the pacifist religions have exactly been knocking down
the door to decry any US response to this weeks horrific actions.

Like it or not,at the base line (in my opinion) the Bin-Ladens et al are
anti-semites, and when the layers of BS are removed, it's their hatred of
Israel and Judaism that really at the crux of the issue. (PS: I'm Catholic)

-Paul Hopfgarten
-Derry NH