Re: Heartbreaking Interview on ABC

On 14 Sep 2001, at 1:32, Dan Billings wrote:

> Another complaint:  No more polls.  Everyone supports the President.
> Nearly everyone supports a military response.  Did we need a poll to find
> this out?

And just how do we find out that this is so without having polls?  Or do
we just take the government's word for it?

Incidentally, the polls show that "nearly everyone" does not support a
military response.  About 70% do, according to the news I heard today
on WBUR.  That's not "nearly everyone."

I'm a little skeptical of a military response myself.  I'm afraid the
government will just try to hit something in Afganistan, just to look
macho, without dealing with the more long-term fight against these
groups.  I'm also afraid there will be too much emphasis on Osama bin
Laden himself, without going after the group which he heads, and which
someone else headed before him.  We hardly even hear its name
mentioned on the news.

Seems to me this requires a long-term campaign against terrorist
organizations and their financing and support.  If that involves military
strikes which serve a purpose in disrupting terrorist networks, or in
discouraging support for them, so be it.  But to hit someone just to feel
good will be counterproductive.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210          lawyer@attorneyross.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503           http://www.attorneyross.com