Re: Heartbreaking Interview on ABC

----- Original Message -----
From: "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com>
To: "Dan Billings" <dib9@gwi.net>
Cc: "boston Interest Radio Group Thingy"
<boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: Heartbreaking Interview on ABC

> And just how do we find out that this is so without having polls?  Or do
> we just take the government's word for it?

Does your opinion change because of what a poll says?

I trust that members of Congress can tell what a majority of their
constituents want.  A good politician with his or her finger in the wind
beats the accuracy of any poll.

> Incidentally, the polls show that "nearly everyone" does not support a
> military response.  About 70% do, according to the news I heard today
> on WBUR.  That's not "nearly everyone."

70% is "nearly everyone" in my book.  You can't get 7 out of 10 people to
agree on almost anything.

In either case, we don't determine foreign policy by popular plebiscite.

It also seems like the Bush administration sees the issue as you do.
(Doesn't that scare you?)  The President seems to be preparing the American
people and our allies for a sustained, long-term effort against terrorism,
not a short-term strike against one group.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine