Fwd: Re: Follow-up on "Weakest Link"

--------- Forwarded Message ---------
DATE: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:43:57
From: "Brian Vita" <brian_vita@cssinc.com>
To: <lglavin@lycos.com>, <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>

From: "Laurence Glavin" <lglavin@lycos.com>
Subject: Follow-up on "Weakest Link"
> Incidentally, by checking a website associated with WCRB (not wcrb.com)
but
> www.theclassicalstation.net, the website for their dumbed-down network
including
> the Tanger family B*Q stations in Maine,

>With all due respect, this rant is really getting tiring.

The basic message and the one before it would have occurred if the Herald
story had been about ANY figure associated with a radio station in the
 Boston
area; it just HAPPENED to be WCRB.  "The Weakest Link" is having auditions
in Boston again...perhaps another peripheral figure in the Boston radio scene,
inspired by Paul's example will audition.  (I imagine if a host of
a morning drive show on a highly-rated station showed up, the TV
producers would consider it a promotional stunt and veto him or her.).
Now as regards the comment about the network, absolutely no
effort is made to make it sound other than the most basic station
possible because it's aimed at the tastes of small cities:
Portland,ME...Albany, NY etc.  There are no significant 20th
century pieces (even WCRB plays at least one Vaughn-Williams
Symphony (he was an excellent and often accessible English composer).

And no, I don't actually listen to WCRB except for the live Boston
Symphony broadcasts...last-heard: Stravinsky's "Symphony of Psalms"
from Tanglewood in August.  What I can glean about what they're
doing is based on the Boston Globe's "Radio Highlights" near the
TV grid.

During the past two years I've posted entries about a multitude of subjects...I spotted the item in the classifieds that Westinghouse
(as it was known at the time) had gotten approval to build on the
350 Cedar St property in Needham, I believe earlier than anyone else
on the board.  I also saw an item in the classifieds about WKOX's
plan to put up towers near the WUNR-AM site on Sawmill Brook
Parkway very early on (that appears to be defunct).  I filed a
post two, maybe three summers ago that a small tower was going up on Wood hill
in Andover, which became the elaborate WKLB xmmtr (but no 93.3
translator for WBOS as of yet.)  I noted the FM pirate in Lawrence
that was broadcasting with NINETY-NINE watts because the church group
that ran it mistakenly thought anything under 100 watts was okay;  I also
phoned the Lawrence Tribune and they published a feature-length
story that Bob mentioned on LTAR.

And VERY important: since my fabulous tuner-amp has a pretty good
signal-strength display, I can report that evidently EVERY AM station
with differing daytime-nighttime facilities is following the rules
so far this September, even WROL under Salem.
(I checked WILD-AM 1090 last weekend, and they powered up exactly
two hours after sign-on.) Was the fining of WBOT the signal that
even in this "deregulatory" age, the FCC is taking technical matters
seriously?  OK so Scott says WUMB-AM 1170 has been heard after hours.

So be careful;  if you filter out lglavin@lycos.com, you may miss a
world exclusive (I've gotta stop reading Drudge) or an observation
that although not unique, may nevertheless be felicitously phrased.

Laurence Glavin

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!