Re: Horror of Terrorist Attack

Donna asked:

> Program directors on the list-- how long do you
> stay with all-news coverage (assuming you have gone to it), and if you are
> a music station, how much news do you provide?

As an Ops manager for 4 stations, 3 all music FMs, I gave serious thought to
how much live coverage we should provide. All 4 of our stations carried ABC
radio's anchored coverage from around 7:30am to 12 noon Pacific Time. We
took short local updates with information on how locals could help. Blood
Drives, etc.

After noon Pacific, we went back to music on our 3 FMs, and carried ABC
updates on the half hour. The AM, ESPN sports talk is still with ABC
coverage.

After a few hours of total coverage, it seemed as thought the anchors we're
simply looking for things to say...and repeated the same thing over and
over.
Please don't feel as though I don't appreciate the gravity of this
situation. If there are new developments, we break programming to join the
network immediately.

All of us here in Central Oregon have all of the victims, injured rescuers
and their families in our prayers.

Rob Walker
Director of Operations
GCC Bend, LLC