RE: Satellite Radio

Garrett Wollman writes:

>You have to look at it as a luxury item.  That is the market it is
>currently targeted towards, and that is how it will succeed or fail.
>I don't think it will fail, but it may well require substantial
>additional investment and payoffs to manufacturers before there's a
>sufficient installed base.  There are large parts of the country where
>local radio does not provide the sort of air product which is
>interesting to this audience, and $120 a year is pocket change to
>them.  (For that matter: how many not-rich people now pay Fleece that
>much just to have a bank account?)

-GAWollman

Well, if it is just going to remain a luxry item then it will forever be a
niche market. They seem to be pricing it for 'everyone' however. Because if
they were just taregeted towards high income people then XM could get away
with a $50 or $100 a month fee, than the $10.
I don't know about this thing. (If they had a Celtic music channel, I'd
probably sign up however) :-)

Some of the programming descriptions on the MSNBC story leave me scekpical,
too, like the Teen talk show described - hosted by a 31 year old woman??!!

73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)