Re: rabbit ears

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Bob Nelson...WMWM wrote:
> --these rabbit ears also say they're for FM. Has
> anyone used rabbit ears for FM reception and, if so,
> how well did it do?

Ok, Bob: First off, 15$ for a pair of cheap VHF only rabbit ears is a bit
much.  I've seen them at the 99¢ stores here in New York for a couple of
bucks.  I've used TV rabbit ears for FM and they work fine for most of the
local stations. I don't do DX-ing on FM -- in fact I don't listen much to
FM, but I do try to get a good signal.  Rabbit ears are good enough for
strong-signal areas

> --has anyone ever tried the type of antenna where you
> plug it in and "use the wiring of the house to
> get reception"?

They are dangerous!  Don't ever use them.  You are exposing the insides of
your radio to very high voltage if the resistor/capcitor in series with
the wire ever fails.  These antennae were the biggest scam ever.  I
inherited one and it never worked as advertised.  In fact, sometimes it
introduced electrical noise into the radio.

--
Sven Franklyn Weil            "The needs of the many outweigh
<sven@gordsven.com>                      the needs of the few