Re: Clear Channel selling off WGUY

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Tony Randazzo wrote:

> According to a friend of mine who works for Clear
> Channel, Concord Media Group is an "affilate" of Clear
> Channel, so WGUY will be run by thier employees.
> Sounds like an interesting way for a big company to
> own lots of stations, with the FCC none the wiser...

Hi Tony and others-

I saw a post from you Tony and thought "whoa TOny's on this list?" then I
remembered telling you about it a few weeks ago :)

Now wait a minute here, you're saying that someone (who I beleive I know
who it is) told you this?

So now WWBX and WGUY are owned by Gopher Hill and Concord Media, a CC
"Affilliate?" And both are being run by Clear Channel employees?

This is the biggest load of BS that I have ever heard of. If their
employees are still ruinning it, it means their sales people can still use
the other stations together with the unowned stations (officially anyway)
and it still gives them the same competitive advantage over the 5 Cumulus
stations and the 2 Bangor ZoneCorp stations..... this is rediculous.
Without really doing anything, Clear Channel has retained what they
weren't supposed to have in the first place.

I think that the Bangor Daily News is pro CC too......when the buyout of
WWBX and WABI happened, I remeber a Saturday morning talking to Glenn
Simpson and we were both disgusted that there was an article in there that
made Clear Channel sound like such a great company and bla bla bla and
there wasn't even a mention that WKIT and WZON were the only locally owned
radio stations left in Bangor. Now that Clear Channel is doing all oif
these dirty tricks the BDN could care less.....

There is a few loopholes somewhere when a company can get around a rather
major and important law this easily.....

Jeremy Mixer
WKIT