Re: Potty Runs (was Today's LTAR)

On 2 Jul 2001,  Jibguy@aol.com wrote:

> If such was a real concern amongst the'majority?' of lawyers, then why don't
> the bad ones (who sue insurance companies for outrageous amounts; which
> DRIVES UP ALL OF OUR insurance rates) get disbarred?  Apparently the Bar
> Associations don't see this is a problem, but rather an unsaid endorsement.
> ---jibguy

Really?  Who did that?

What's an outrageous amount is in the eyes of the beholder.  The insurance
industry isn't exactly pure in this.  They've been spreading the false
notion that there's a litigation explosion in order to prevent people from
being able to get compensated fairly for injuries.

There isn't a "litigation explosion."  Never was.  There was an increase
in civil case filings during the time when baby-boomers were coming of
age.  That was a population explosion, not a litigation explosion.  And
that was =all= civil case filings, including divorces, evictions, and
business litigation, not just tort litigation.  And Massachusetts juries
are notoriously stingy in awarding damages.

Bad lawyers do get disbarred.  But lawyers are supposed to go to bat for
our clients.  We can't do that if we can disbarred just for bringing a
case that is ultimately determined to be without merit.

Since this discussion is off-topic, I'm going to take any further replies
on this subject off-list.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210          lawyer@attorneyross.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503           http://www.attorneyross.com