Re: Coverage of Moakley

At 10:20 PM -0400 5/28/01, Dave Faneuf wrote:
>Am I missing something?  WBZ-TV broke the story that
>Congressman Moakley had died before anyone else, but then did
>not carry the press conference by Congressman McGovern as he
>announced Moakley's death.  WCVB carried it live, it was also on
>AP's Hot network feed.  I don't know if WHDH carried it or not since
>they had a WNBA game on.  Was that a conscious decision by
>channel 4?

We had the info at Channel 7 about 10 minutes before Channel 4 went
on the air, we were waiting until we got confirmation before going on
the air with the story.  They did not want a repeat of the Bob Hope
story of several years ago.

We were fortunate that the news conference began just after the end
of the WNBA game, otherwise they (the news dept.) were prepared to
blow away the end of the game to carry the news conference.

Larry Weil
WHDH-TV Master Control Operator
--
Larry Weil