Re: Interference issue

On Thu, 10 May 2001 Sptseditor@aol.com wrote:

> My parents live in South Boston, about a mile from the water. Recently,
> they have begun receiving Radio Disney in their telephone. I thought
> this odd, since they are probably 4-5 miles from 1260's antenna site in
> the Neponset marshes.

If they unplug everything from the phone line and plug in one
old-fashioned, non-cordless, unpowered phone, do they still hear Radio
Disney? If so, the phone company probably has their line crossed with a
program circuit.

[Aside: it once happened that a remote line being used by WLYN-FM
(now WFNX) to carry a broadcast of a speech by Governor Ed King got
crossed with someone's home phone; according to a friend who used to be
that station's chief engineer, at one point during the broadcast the
words, "get off my phone, you jackass" were clearly audible over the air.]

If unplugging everything but the one no-frills, ho-hum phone *does* get
rid of the interference, start plugging the other phones, faxes, modems
etc. back in, one at a time. When the offending device is plugged in, the
interference will reappear; you will likely need to put a filter on this
device to make it go away.

There is a remote possibility that the cordless phone, which is in essence
a radio, is somehow being overloaded by the Radio Disney signal. If that
proves to be the case the phone will have to be replaced.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com