From: dan.strassberg@att.net [mailto:dan.strassberg@att.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 5:07 PM
To: adamrivers@prodigy.net
Cc: Adam Rivers; boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: RE: 540 AM in NH

Unfortunately, I have no idea. The FCC AM database is a
total mess. The section that contains station data
organized by COL and frequency has not been updated
since January 2000, when the disastrous Y2K update
wrecked the database. All attempts to correct the
problems have merely corrupted the database further.
Also, it's unclear whether anyone at the FCC really
cares. I tried to find the area where I could look up an
application or CP by file number but I couldn't locate
it. I did wind up with an account at the page from which
you can download FCC forms, but that wasn't what I
thought I was subscribing to.

I think Jaffrey is far enough from both Pawtucket RI and
Waterbury VT (both of which have 550 stations) that a
540 station with 250W ND daytime might be technically
feasible. However, based on its use of 214W at night
(presumably to protect CBK, the Class A on 540), WLUX,
the 540 station in Islip NY, appears to be a class D.
I would guess then, that the NH station would have to be
directional at night because it too must protect CBK and
I don't think the FCC is granting CPs for new Class D
AMs.

However, if WLUX's antenna is efficient enough to
produce the minumum 250W field with only 214W, WLUX
might be a Class B. If so, the NH station might be a
Class B operating nights with 250W ND (or a lower power
into an antenna with greater-then-minimum efficiency to
produce a nighttime field equivalent to 250W from a
minimum-efficiency antenna).
> Would this be non-directional or directional?
>
> -Adam
>
> http://adamskewlsite.freeservers.com

CP