Re: 540 AM in NH

Well, Jeff Gill reported 1 kW-D/250W-N DA-2. I imagine that the day pattern
will be a figure-eight with nulls to the south-southeast to protect
Pawtucket and north-northwest to protect Waterbury. The east lobe might be
stronger than the west lobe. At night, the pattern could be similar but with
somewhat greater suppression of the west lobe. I don't think either pattern
would be particularly tight. Most likely, the station would need only two
towers and would use both by day and by night. Given that WCRN is sending
the equivalent of much more than 50 kW days toward second adjacent WEEI,
which is no more than about 40 miles to its east (and much of the path is in
an area of better soil conductivity than southwestern NH), I don't think a
540 station in Jaffrey would have a problem with WHYN. And since WGAN is
directional to the east day and night, I don't think there would be a
problem with WGAN either.

If there were anyone around to listen (questionable), this sounds like a
decent facility. Maybe the guy who wants to build it is independently
wealthy and just figures on having fun. I wonder if he is the same guy or is
related to the person who has been trying for the last 20 or so years to
build an AM 550 daytimer in Lakeside NJ on the New York border. That's the
area in which is located the college where the Jaffrey applicant supposedly
teaches. The Lakeside application may or may not still be alive, but it has
had one setback after another--first with WMCA, then with WLUX, which was
recently granted a slight increase in day power, and probably all along with
environmentalists who would be upset wherever the permittee tries to build
the station. Finding an acceptable site around Jaffrey could also be a big
problem. On 540, the towers have to be tall enough to require illumination
and the plot of land needs to be 1000' long or perhaps longer in one
dimension and at least 600' in the other. I think that works out to about 15
acres of correctly zoned more-or-less level land with neighbors who won't
mind the flashing lights. Good luck!

--

Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax: 1-707-215-6367