Re: Celtics on WWZN

In a message dated Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:23:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Mark Shneyder <bostonradio@yahoo.com> writes:

<< With 'EEI being so caller-driven during its local shows, ESPN's
interview and analysis focused approach seems to be somewhat
out of place on 850. I feel SportsFan seemed to blend a little
better with the rest of their day... >>

Such is true; I wonder if WDFN in Detroit, which was the only other top-10 market besides the Bay Area which carried Sports Fan, has pulled the plug as well. (Brick's show is based in Oakland, so I doubt he's off the air there.) However, many stations have ESPN on at night after having caller-driven programming during the day, including 790 in Providence.

If Sporting News didn't own an affiliate here in Boston, their programming would make sense in overnights, especially with their weeknight 10p-2a guy coming from the Boston area. If Clear Channel is still planning on flipping 1200 to satellite sports if/when the signal upgrade goes through, I doubt they would allow WEEI to air Fox Sports Radio (very similar in style to ESPN radio) to their lineup, so WEEI is likely stuck with ESPN radio from now on at nights.

-Sean