Re: Ted Sarand_A_s

In a message dated Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:55:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Dan Strassberg" <Dan.Strassberg@att.net> writes:

<< I stand by what I said about the spelling. I once heard Ted carry on for
about 15 minutes on the air over how hardly anyone ever spelled his name
correctly. His in-studio guest during this rant was Fred Smerlis (I suppose
that could be Smerlas), a friend of Ted's who, I think, used to play for
the Patriots >>

Any time I have seen Ted's last name spelled -- whether on WEEI's web site, in Globe or Herald stories, press releases, etc. -- it's been Sarandis. I am not doubting Dan's information, but I have a feeling if print journalists were misspelling his name, Ted would kindly inform them of the proper spelling. Also, IIRC, his yearbook at Concord-Carlisle High School (from which he graduated in 1973) spells his last name Sarandis.

Fred Smerlas actually has an 'as' ending on his last name. He did play for the Patriots and used to have a Saturday morning show with Ted until a couple of years ago on WEEI. Smerlas is almost exclusively heard now on The Big Show in PM drive. On the Saturday show (and his occasional night appearances with Sarandis), Smerlas came off a lot better -- a lot more professional sounding, instead of the ranting and raving lunatic personality he has to adopt during drive time. Just my humble opinion...

-Sean