Re: WMEX / "Classic Gold" UK

"Bob Nelson...WMWM" wrote

>That last part already goes against the "You Know
>All The Songs" rule that stations like WODS are known
>for. I was delighted to hear some "British-only"
>hits on there. (You know Three Dog Night's "Black
>and White", but how about the original version?
And that would be by whom?

>How about cuts by Small Faces, Lulu, Mary Hopkin, and
>others that weren't hits in the US...And Donovan's
>"Catch the Wind" ALONG WITH the better-known "Sunshine
>Superman", etc.)
Donovan's "Catch The Wind" was well-played in New
England, if I remember correctly.  Portland ME even
played "Universal Soldier".

Mary Hopkin had a few songs that were played here in
the states.  Depends on your definition of "hit."  It would
appear that, for the most part, Oldies stations only program
Top 5 (or better) songs.  Exceptions for regional hits are
made e.g. Can't Find The Time - Orpheus.

>One song...I haven't heard in a long while, was Sweet
>Sensation's "Sad Sweet Dreamer" ('74). #1 hit in the UK,
>so I guess you'd expect them to play it... Billboard
>"Book of One-Hit Wonders" says ...#14 in the US. Why don't
>we hear it here...?
Not a Top 5 song.

>The thing about the station that grabs me is how
>varied their sound is, how big their playlist (but
>maybe that's just the inclusion of "British-only"
>hits). There are some people out there who like stuff
>from more than just one or two decades (like me!)
I like stuff from the past 5 decades.

I should temper your enthusiasm with a cautionary note -
Hearing songs that don't get airplay here can induce a
large dose of the "Oh Wow!" factor.  Protracted listening
may reveal that the playlist actually sounds larger than
it really is.  Which, of course, is a programmer's
dream.  On the other hand, they may actually be playing
more songs - and if they are, more power to them!  As
for playing unfamiliar (to the US ear) songs - my patience
is much longer than the average listener's.  Some people
(my wife for example) will change stations in a nano-
second if the next song isn't "perfect".  How did we ever
tolerate radio in the Sixties?

Roger Kirk
rogerkirk@ttlc.net