Re: Radio ad sales down -*way* down

Isn't it almost a foregone conclusion that, when times
are hard, if there is a medium whose ad rates have risen
dramatically and whose product quality has declined
dramatically, advertisers will say "screw them; there
are plenty of other alternatives where I can spend my ad
dollars"?

It seems to me that Clear Channel's strategy is to do
the following: 1) acquire so many stations, especially
in medium markets, that the company can dictate radio ad
rates, and 2) through automation, voice-tracking, the
use of out-of-merket voices, etc, drive down the cost of
running stations.

Somewhere along the line, Mays et al have decided that
this strategy justifies their paying astronomical prices
for stations and borrowing to the hilt to pay for them.
So far, the borrowing part has worked out--because
interest rates have remained low, but should rates rise,
the house of cards will collapse.

And certainly, CC has made some really questionable
station buys. A friend told me about a $2.5-million
purchase of a rimshot signal in a 20-station market with
total radio revenues of $7 million per year. At best,
the station can expect to capture no more than 10% of
market revenues. That means CC paid almost four times
the highest _revenues_ the station can expect. If the
money to make the purchase was borrowed at 7% and the
station has no other operating expenses (NONE!), CC gets
a good return on its investment, but it's pretty easy to
see how that could become a negative return.

This really makes no more sense than the business plans
of the dot coms that have gone belly up.