Re: ESPN in RI, Jerry Williams (was re: WICE)

790 has the better signal for sure. It's 5 kW DA-N. 550 is 1 kW-D/500W-N
DA-N. As far as I know, 550 still holds an unbuilt CP for something like 4.3
kW-D/3.4 kW-N DA-2 from the existing site. The power increase would require
adding a third tower (no big deal; the towers are short--for 550; they are
top loaded. But big deal or not, the NIMBYs have held the station at
bay--and not Narragansett Bay either--for probably five years.) Because of
the directional pattern, which protects WGR, WDEV, and now-dark WHLM and
CFNB, the 550 TX has to be north of Providence--away from the salt water.
Not so for 790, which is a very old station and has one of the half dozen or
so oldest DAs in the US. I'm not sure where the 790 TX is, but it's probably
near 630 and 920 in E Providence. Even though 790 has to protect Norfolk VA
at night, the pattern is a simple two-tower cardiod directed to the
northeast and an E Providence site ought to work just fine.

--

Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax: 1-707-215-6367

Sptseditor wrote:

Which is the stronger signal in the Providence market, 550 or 790?