Re: A Star is Born?

Well, I have to hand it to Provizer for a good tongue-in-cheek parody on the
situation, and I love the proposed program name, but I think I place a
little more credence in the report that Lydon's new home base will be WNYC.
If he chooses to do so, Lydon could still originate his show from Boston,
even with a New York station as the "originator."

Christo may have demonstrated that Lydon isn't essential to The Connection,
but it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Will Christo try to
duke it out with WNYC? She has the NPR contract, but WNYC apparently has
Lydon and thus may wind up with the affiliate list, either using PRI to
syndicate Lydon or creating an ad-hoc network of public radio stations. This
would leave Jane with a 100% interest in a worthless asset (AKA a
liability). From what I hear, it couldn't happen to a nicer person.
Minnesota Public Radio has stations _far_ from the midwest. Isn't KPPC in
Pasadena owned by MPR? MPR might just be spoiling to get into the
syndication business and might take on the chore if WNYC doesn't want the
headaches.

For Boston listeners, the question is whether any local station will clear
Lydon's show. Since it seems most unlikely that Christo will allow Lydon
back on her airwaves (yeah, yeah, I know that WBUR isn't technically
hers--but that appears to be just a techicality), I guess the best deal for
listeners would be if WGBH-FM were to carry the live feed and WUMB carried
the prime-time rebroadcast. I don't think there is much likelihood of that
coming to fruition, though. Imagine the howls of protest from the listeners
to whatever is currently on WGBH-FM from 10:00 AM to noon and on WUMB et al
from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM (or 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM if that turned out to be
better for the station).

Can you envision a network of stations like WMFO, WBRS, WMWM, and WMBR or
WERS becoming the Boston-area affiliates for Lydon's show? I don't think
that would fly either. Sounds like the perfect example of trying to herd
cats. Maybe there IS room for ABFR in the network. Heck, why not WJIB for
the nighttime rebroadcast? There's more intelligence in 30 seconds of Lydon
than in a whole week of WRKO (or in 10 years of Howie). I think Bob Bittner
ought to pick up Provizer's lead and put out his own press release offering
to air Lydon's program commercial-free nightly from 8:00 to 10:00 PM for,
say, a 2% interest in Lydon's company. Bob should emphasize that, during
June and July, the first 15 minutes of the program would rach the entire
Boston area via WJIB's full 250W signal (once Bob corrects his technical
problem). I mean, this IS about free enterprise, isn't it? Naah; whenever
someone says it's not about the money, it's about the money.

--

Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax: 1-707-215-6367