Re: Announcer Phrasing

On 9 Feb 2001, at 19:46, Roger Kirk wrote:

> It appears that WBZ newspersons e.g. Gary LaPierre,
> have writers who provide copy for them to read.
> Does anybody in this group know if copywriting
> people provide puctuation for proper phrasing?
>
> This morning, Laurie Kirby (sp?) subbing for
> Jay McQuaide (sp?) read a story and the
> phrasing was just plain awful.  She read:
>
> In all seven people <pause> were displaced.
> <major pause while Ms. Kirby puzzled over
> what she just read>
>
> One can only hope that it was intended to be:
>
> In all, <pause> seven people were displaced.
>
> frequently in live material, but occasionally
> in pre-recorded commercials - some that run
> for weeks.  Does anybody listen to stuff before
> it's aired?  Quite frankly, some commercials
> sound as if the talent did a read-through to
> tape and that's what airs.
>
> Comments?  Apologies?  Extenuating Circumstances?
>
> Roger Kirk
> rogerkirk@ttlc.net

Sometimes you're given copy at the last minute and don't have
time to pre-read.  A good trick to master is being able to read one
or two lines ahead...to catch any bombs before they explode out of
your mouth.  Even then, they sometimes escape.
If I had a dime for every on-air gaff I've made.......
Of course the best solution is to write your own copy...then you
have nobody to blame but yourself.
WBZ does a tremendous amount of news.  The fact that the
occasional goof is so noticeable shows just how well they do in
general.

Dan Cole