Re: Armstrong's Alpine tower

I don't know where WNYU transmits from, but when the
station first went on the air, I remember that its
studios and TX were at NYU's now abandoned University
Heights campus in the west Bronx. (I have no idea what's
now at University Heights--Bronx Community College
maybe?) It's hard to believe that the campus would have
been completely abandoned because part of it was the
Hall of Fame, which was (is?) a major New York City
landmark.

Anyhow, I think there is a clear line of sight from
University Heights to the Alpine tower. If WFDU is
already on the Alpine tower and WNYU hasn't moved, WNYU
should be using the WFDU transmitting faciliies. A
shared TX sure wouldn't be anything close to a first for
stations that share time.

I believe that the Alpine tower, sitting, as it does,
high atop the Palasaides, is the tallest structure
between the George Washington and Tappan Zee bridges. In
fact, with all of the problems that WFUV 90.7 has had
constructing a tower near the Bronx Park, I wonder why
the trustees of Fordham U apparently haven't thought of
moving WFUV to the Alpine tower.

In the early days of FM, W2XEA/WFMN sure put out a great
signal from that tower, and I think that after WFMN went
off the air and WPAT-FM took over 93.1 in the New York
area, WPAT-FM used the tower for at least a short while.
Those cross arms ought to provide enough space for 20
FMs with no multiplexing.

I grew up in the northwest Bronx (a few miles north of
NYU) in plain sight of the Alpine tower, but I have
never visited the tower. Is there anything there, such
as an Armstrong museum, to mark the site's significance?
There must be at least a historical marker, but that can
hardly do justice to the history of the place.