Re: WCVB statement on Dr Laura - a translation

As one who always tries to read between the lines, here's my translation of
the WCVB statement.  Please note that these are my opinions and, in the
spirit of this discussion, if you don't like them, don't read them, just
don't tell the rest of the group that you will boycott them if they read them.

Brian

At 10:59 PM 9/7/00 -0400, Kevin Vahey wrote:
>WCVB-TV has obviously not come easily to the decision to air the Dr. Laura
>Schlessinger program. It will be scheduled in the 10:00 a.m., Monday-Friday,
>time period beginning this Monday, September 11,

Good for them!

>  as is called for by WCVB's contract with Paramount Television Studios.

oops, starting to weasel out here...

>We have engaged in numerous discussions and in the most serious of
>deliberations with various representatives of the gay, lesbian and
>transgender communities. We certainly share the great concern of these
>communities and of all reasonable people regarding the insensitive remarks
>about gays and lesbians attributed to Laura Schlessinger on her radio
>program.

This is good and if the general populace is as offended by her alleged
remarks as the "gay, lesbian and transgender communities" (oh, I see, the
PC term is "community" and I was using "lifestyle") they won't tune it, the
show will flop and she'll eventually be the "I'm my kid's Mom - would you
like that supersized?" lady.  The free market works.

>We have also engaged in a very serious review of her plans for her new
>television series, including screening taped segments from her initial week
>of programs.

In other words, they are trying to evaluate whether it will draw an
audience of sufficient size.

>While we find her subject matter to be provocative at times, the first
>week's programs are in no way offensive.

This I find hard to believe.  You couldn't go on TV (or radio) and recite
the alphabet without offending someone.  We need to be more tolerant.

>And the television program
>certainly does not approach either the subject matter or tone of the radio
>quotations that have precipitated this controversy.

In other words, its a dog.  Face it, if the program doesn't generate
controversy it won't generate an audience.  It will die.  Would Springer do
the numbers that he has if he got on the tube and read recipes?

>WCVB has faced two similar controversies in the past when organized elements
>first lobbied the station not to air what is now considered the heralded ABC
>series, "NYPD Blue" and, secondly, when concerned members of Boston's
>Catholic community urged us in great numbers not to air another ABC series,
>"Nothing Sacred."

Fortunately we foresaw an audience and went with it.  We were rewarded
appropriately.

>We have every intention, because of the intensity of the community concern
>surrounding the Dr. Schlessinger program, to monitor the program with the
>strictest community criteria in mind.

In other words, if the numbers aren't there, its gone.

>If the program strays and replicates the insensitivities of its radio
>counterpart, we are prepared to take immediate and appropriate remedial
>action.

We will promote the living crap out of it to capitalize on the free
publicity that the controversy generates.

The bottom line here is that TV and radio are businesses.  If you put on
programs that people want to watch you will prosper.  When you start
playing God (non-denominational here) and tell me what people can and
cannot watch, you will lose.
Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
75 Walnut St.
Peabody, MA  01960-5626 USA
Sales:  (800)231-8849/Sales Fax:  (800)329-2775
Business Office: +1-978-538-7575/Business Fax:  +1-978-538-7550
Visit us on the web at "www.cssinc.com"