Re: Gay-rights backers don't want 'Dr. Laura' on TV

At 10:54 PM 9/7/00 -0400, Dib9@aol.com wrote:

>Come on.  The pro-gay side of the argument gets plenty of play in the
>mainstream media.  Dr. Laura stands out because she is out of step with the
>politically correct view on these issues that is usually reflected in media
>coverage.
>
>-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

I often wonder what is going through the minds of the protesters.  If they
had kept their mouths shut, a certain audience would look for the show
because they are Dr. Laura fans, a certain amount would stumble upon it by
accident and a large majority would be blissfully ignorant of its very
existence.  Now, thanks to them trying to prevent people from seeing it, a
much larger audience will tune it to find out just what is so objectionable.

I can draw a similar parallel to my industry, the movies.  Many years ago I
ran a movie in one of the theatres that I managed (no control over the
booking) called something to the effect of "Silent Night, Deadly Night"
where Santa Claus was portrayed as an axe murderer.  A few years later one
of my customers played "The Last Temptation of Christ".  Both of these
movies were, in my critical opinion, crap.  In both cases we, as theatre
managers, received calls from some irate groups who protested our
respective theatres with picket lines, media coverage, etc.  Had these
folks kept their mouths shut the movies would have quietly come and gone
attracting virtually no audience.  Since these folks were trying to forbid
the rest of the world from seeing something, the movies did far better than
they deserved.

Could it be that a shrewd marketing department at Paramount is behind these
protests or are the protestors so naive as to not realize that they are
actually increasing the demand for the show?

Brian

Hey, does anyone know how to tell if I'm using a "straight" computer?
(Sorry, just having fun from my previous response).

Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
75 Walnut St.
Peabody, MA  01960-5626 USA
Sales:  (800)231-8849/Sales Fax:  (800)329-2775
Business Office: +1-978-538-7575/Business Fax:  +1-978-538-7550
Visit us on the web at "www.cssinc.com"