WCVB statement on Dr Laura

WCVB-TV has obviously not come easily to the decision to air the Dr. Laura
Schlessinger program. It will be scheduled in the 10:00 a.m., Monday-Friday,
time period beginning this Monday, September 11, as is called for by WCVB's
contract with Paramount Television Studios.

We have engaged in numerous discussions and in the most serious of
deliberations with various representatives of the gay, lesbian and
transgender communities. We certainly share the great concern of these
communities and of all reasonable people regarding the insensitive remarks
about gays and lesbians attributed to Laura Schlessinger on her radio
program.

We have also engaged in a very serious review of her plans for her new
television series, including screening taped segments from her initial week
of programs.

While we find her subject matter to be provocative at times, the first
week's programs are in no way offensive. And the television program
certainly does not approach either the subject matter or tone of the radio
quotations that have precipitated this controversy.

WCVB has faced two similar controversies in the past when organized elements
first lobbied the station not to air what is now considered the heralded ABC
series, "NYPD Blue" and, secondly, when concerned members of Boston's
Catholic community urged us in great numbers not to air another ABC series,
"Nothing Sacred."

The latter program also became the subject of much critical and viewer
praise in its airings on Channel 5.

We have every intention, because of the intensity of the community concern
surrounding the Dr. Schlessinger program, to monitor the program with the
strictest community criteria in mind.

If the program strays and replicates the insensitivities of its radio
counterpart, we are prepared to take immediate and appropriate remedial
action.

Paul La Camera
President and General Manager
WCVB-TV