Re: Share-times (was Fw: WTHT)

WFAA Dallas and WBAP Ft Worth originally shared 820 (a Class I-A
clear-channel assignment) on a 50-50 basis. The split was so complex that it
was practically impossible to follow. Pick a time--any time. If WFAA was on
at that time today, the next time it would be on at that time on the same
day of the week would be two weeks from today. The only way to administer
such a mess was for the stations to behave as if they were one station. They
had a combined sales staff and only one transmitter, although they did have
separate studios and separate on-air staffs. At some point, the owners of
the two stations bought KKGO 570, a Class III regional chjannel
station--albeit the best such facility in Dallas/Ft Worth. But the FCC ruled
that this constituted a (then) illegal dupoly. So KKGO became WFAA-570 and
WBAP-570. Each station operated on 570 during the hours it did not operate
on 820. The two owners then programmed each _frequency_ as if it was a
separate station. Each frequency had its own network affiliation and format
and I think that programs would continue across the handovers, which became
something of a joke. (One announcer would do the following: WFAA 820 Dallas.
Stay tuned for WBAP Ft Worth. WBAP 820 Ft Worth. And the program would just
continue.) Eventually, the two stations went their separate ways with WBAP
taking over 820 full time and WFAA similarly taking over 570. 570 now uses
the legendary KLIF calls, which came from 1190.

--

Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax: 1-707-215-6367