Re: Share-times (was Fw: WTHT)

When I discovered the most recent predecessor to WNSW--WBYN Brooklyn--it was
full-time, I believe. That was over 50 years ago. I believe that in the 20s
and or 30s, the station that became WBYN had been a sharetimer, however.
Contrary to what the Jaker book says, I believe that WBYN lost its license
for broadcasting horse-race results too soon after the races ended. WBYN
broadcast race results for 15 minutes at the top of each hour back in the
early 40s, and clearly existed for the benefit of the New York bookies.
After WBYN left the air, 1430 was dark in metro New York for about a year
before WNJR debuted. At one point WWRL, and the forerunner of WLIB shared
time with each other (and at least one other station--probably two). I think
that WWRL must be the only station in the New York market that has never
changed calls.

And on a recent trip to the New York area, I got a fairly close look at the
WNSW sticks. For reasons that escape me, the antennas appear to be folded
unipoles (the only ones I'm aware of the the Northeast). I couldn't see the
tower bases, but if the towers were built to support the folded unipoles,
they wouldn't need base insulators. There are no other broadcast services on
these towers--no other AMs or FMs and no communications services, so the
value of using folded unipoles is lost on me--unless it allows somewhat
wider signal bandwidth or a more convenient driving-point impedance. And, of
course, based on WRCA's experience, never having to replace a base insulator
sounds like a good deal, although I suspect that only a small percentage of
base insulators under guy-supported AM towers have ever needed replacement.
Can you imagine replacing the insulator under WGY's 660' stick?

As for the wide-ranging effects of AM time-sharing arrangements, the AM 1380
in Wilmington DE (WAMS?) used to operate DA-3. Since it was 35 miles or so
closer to WAWZ than to WBNX, the Wilmington station had to use a tighter
pattern during daytime hours when WAWZ operated than during daytime hours
when WBNX operated.

Also, KGIL 1260 San Fernando, used to cut its daytime power when KPPC was on
the air. Nowadays, however, the restrictions on second-adjacent-channel
overlap have been loosened sufficiently that, if KPPC still existed, KGIL
(or whatever the calls are now--they seem to change every few weeks) would
probably not have to make any operational changes.

--

Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax: 1-707-215-6367