Re: Convention coverage

On 17 Aug 2000,  Kevin Vahey wrote:

> 40 years ago people watched the conventions because they HAD to, now they
> have more choices.

No, they didn't.  They didn't HAVE to watch television at all.  People
watched the conventions back then because the conventions actually decided
who the nominee would be.  And people cared more about politics in those
days, too.

In my family, we always had the TV on for most of the day and evening
during the conventions, for both parties.  I couldn't imagine not
watching, and even after I became active politically as a Democrat, I
still watched both conventions regularly -- until 1992, when I couldn't
stand the Republican convention.  I haven't watched it since, but I still
watch the Democratic convention -- and since the regular networks don't
really show the convention so much as they show reporters talking to one
another about the convention, I watch it on C-SPAN.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                        617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                     lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/