Re: Censorship at WTKK

Maybe the fear is that someone may hear the call
letters and tune away to that station. Example:
CALLER ON WRKO: "Howie, I love your show. You're so
much better than the guys on WBZ."

LISTENER (to himself or herself):Hmm...that reminds
me.
I gotta check the traffic situation...and I know
WBZ does updates every ten minutes...

(sound of radio button being pushed)
NEWS ANCHOR ON WBZ: "Time now for Traffic on the
3s..."
(Listener stays tuned to WBZ for the rest of the
drive home.)

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating, but that could be what
the program directors are thinking when they set
the "bleep out the call letters" rule. And I know
some of the late night talk shows will have the host
say, "our guest has a special coming up on Another
Network" (or at least they used to say that...)

Of course, we do hear call letters mentioned on
Let's Talk About Radio...