[1]RE>boston-radio-interest-digest V4 #73

Happy 4th of July Weekend!
Our offices are CLOSED.  We will re-open on Wednesday July 5th.  If this is
urgent, you may page me at 617-408-1935.  Otherwise, I'll be sure to get back to
you Wednesday.
Have a safe and fun 4th!!!

On 07/01/2000, boston-radio-interest wrote:

>boston-radio-interest-digest  Saturday, July 1 2000
>Volume 04 : Number 073
>

>Subjects in this issue:
>
>	Re: WCRB (programming)
>	Re: WCRB (programming)
>	Re: WCRB (programming)
>	Re: WCRB (programming)
>	WFAD
>	Re: WFAD
>	WBOT
>	Re: WBOT
>	Re: WDME
>	Re: WCRB (programming)
>	NERW 6/30: Holiday Hiatus
>	Saturday Hop?
>	Re: WBOT

>-------------------
>
>Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:15:13 -0400
>From: "Dan Strassberg"
><Dan.Strassberg@worldnet.att.net>
>Subject: Re: WCRB (programming)
>
>I feel rather uncomfortable with the concept of
>government deciding how
>programming should broaden the horizons or elevate
>the tastes of the
>listening public. On the other hand, I don't think
>such attempts _have_ to
>wind up as cures that are worse than the disease.
>The CRTC controls formats
>and imposes requirements on Canadian content. In so
>doing, they exclude some
>formats that might succeed. In Toronto, for
>example, didn't the CRTC just
>decide against granting a CP to a group named
>"Aboriginal Voices?" I think
>the CRTC's judgment was that the applicant didn't
>provide enough details
>about the proposed programming and that the
>minorities the programming would
>have served do not represent a suffcient slice of
>the large population of
>metro Toronto. Of course, there's certainly a
>strong argument that the
>marketplace, and not the CRTC, should have been
>allowed to make that
>decision.
>
>But in the US, the FCC used to require licenseees
>to provide a minimal
>amount of news and public affairs programming. To
>my knowledge, the FCC
>never specified what kind of public affairs
>programming. And "lifestyle
>news", which is arguably not news at all, could
>have satisfied the news
>requirement. In my opinion, both radio and the
>listening public are much the
>poorer for the elimination of that requirement. I
>know the opposing
>argument--that in most markets there are enough
>signals to fulfill the
>public's need for news and public affairs. Still,
>requiring all stations to
>broadcast news, even to an uninterested public, in
>my mind, was a good
>thing, and was consistent with granting private
>broadcasters licenses to use
>the the public airwaves.
>
>- --
>
>Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
>Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax: 1-707-215-6367

Krissy Galster
FNX Radio Network
phone:  781-595-6200 x 208
e-mail:  kgalster@fnxradio.com