News coverage

Many news outlets missed the boat again this past week in covering the
naming of the new court house downtown after Edward Brooke.  Almost all of
them said that he was the first Black to be elected to the U.S. Senate.
The Globe had it right in calling him the first Black senator =since
reconstruction=.  There was at least one Black elected to the U.S. Senate
from a Southern state during recostruction.  This becomes more plausible
when one remembers that senators in those days were elected by state
legislatures.

I don't remember anything else about the reconstruction-era Black
senator(s), but I remember seeing a newspaper article on the subject
around the time that Brooke was first elected to the Senate.

WCRB news, incidentally, was one of the ones that got it wrong.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                        617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                     lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/