Re: News coverage

Just for the record, the WCAP Morning Information Team talked about the
Brooke Courthouse and did in fact mention he was not the first black U-S
Senator, Pat McCarthy did name the first black senator but his name
escapes me at the moment.

Dave Faneuf

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:55:55 -0400 "A. Joseph Ross"
<lawyer@world.std.com> writes:
> Many news outlets missed the boat again this past week in covering
> the
> naming of the new court house downtown after Edward Brooke.  Almost
> all of
> them said that he was the first Black to be elected to the U.S.
> Senate.
> The Globe had it right in calling him the first Black senator =since
>
> reconstruction=.  There was at least one Black elected to the U.S.
> Senate
> from a Southern state during recostruction.  This becomes more
> plausible
> when one remembers that senators in those days were elected by state
>
> legislatures.
>
> I don't remember anything else about the reconstruction-era Black
> senator(s), but I remember seeing a newspaper article on the subject
>
> around the time that Brooke was first elected to the Senate.
>
> WCRB news, incidentally, was one of the ones that got it wrong.

>  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                        617.367.0468
>  15 Court Square                     lawyer@world.std.com
>  Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.