Re: Larry Glick

Got to know Larry both at his WMEX days and then at WBZ.

I also worked with one of his "wives" when she was a weather gal at WSMW in
the early 70's. ( whatever hapened to Gail?)

I think he was happiest back at WMEX when they were at 111 Broadway. He was
so proud of an article that TIME did on him ( c 1965 ) when the whole
concept of all night radio was still a learning process. People would wander
in with the bars closed just to sober up ( IMAGINE that today?), or people
with no place to go would just sleep in the studio.
He loved it when the Boston Police "raided" the studio because Pat Cooper
and Glick  were supposed to be "nude"....

He would never be that angry at things Mac Richmond would do, as he had
worked for far cheaper owners in Jacksonville and Miami before that, and it
was in Boston that he found his kingdom. I can't remember how long he was
gone between WMEX and WBZ or where he went, but I do seem to think he showed
up at WBZ in late 68 on weekends "filling in" and the person he was filling
in for never came back.

WBZ gave him the 38 states and while he no longer had a "studio" audience,
it wasn't that hard to talk Carl the security guard at BZ to let us down the
hall when we tried to impress a date or whatever.

The year off between WBZ and WHDH ruined him....and when he did come back,
he was not able to recover from losing everybody west of Framingham.

But for all the people who have passed thru Boston over the years, he was as
good as anyone in keeping you glued to the radio.

Maybe Gary can fill in the blanks......I seem to recall that Westinghouse
TRIED to get Dave Maynard to quit by putting him on all night ( c 1978?) and
it backfired...as it did later with Bob Raleigh. The suits never understood
the pull of those 38 states to a talent, and just how strong that signal is
in the middle of nowhere. As Glick, Williams, Maynard and Raleigh can attest
( and Norm)...there were a LOT of people listening out in nowhere.

All these years later, I can still hum that stupid German march... :)