Larry Glick, old tapes, and Carl deSuze

        Larry Glick mentioned on the air early today that when he left WBZ
the station gave him many tapes of his shows--the logger tapes. He stored
them at home in Westwood, but when he moved to Florida he threw them out.
Mr. Leveille groaned and remarked that a lot of people believe radio
stations tape and save everything they broadcast, but that it isn't like
that at all. I thought of this listserv and all the people who would have
been happy to get those tapes. And there are plenty others around, too --
the old Glickniks who were calling in to the program. The tapes could have
been auctioned off for charity.

        Larry also told a story about the late Carl deSuze. Mr. Leveille
asked Larry, essentially, whether it was for real or just a bit when he
used to make a wake-up call to Carl's home. Larry told a relatively lengthy
story that, in summary, didn't seem to answer the question directly. But he
said that he got sick and tired of Carl being late all the time, with lame
excuses. So Larry warned him he was no longer going to stay around to
cover, and then followed through, causing dead air and Gil Santos to
scramble into the studio and put on a record.
        This happened a couple times, and the GM heard it one morning. The
GM got an intern on the phone who gave it up that Mr. deSuze was late all
the time. Mr. Glick remarked that he would never have turned in Mr. deSuze
to the boss --he was handling it in his own way. So, the GM (I believe the
name was given--but I forget it), told Mr. deSuze, according to Mr. Glick,
that either he would show up on time all the time or the GM would arrange
it that he could sleep late every day. Problem solved.