Re: Vikings upset Karmazin

<<On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:09:57 -0400, "Brian T. Vita" <brian_vita@cssinc.com> said:

> If you get 10+ employees listening to a stereo NetMedia or Real
> Audio feed, that's chewing up a bit of bandwith both on the Internet
> connection as well as the company's internal network.  Legitimate
> company traffic will be slowed down.

That presumes that the corporate network is dramatically
underengineered.  Even a high-quality video stream is only 384 kbit/s,
which, while it might present a problem for many companies' external
connectivity, is only 1/260th of the typical local-area network.  A
poorly configured (e.g., out-of-the-box) Windows NT installation will
waste more bandwidth with its incessant network chattering.

As for the costs of external connectivity, they are dropping rapidly,
and in any case -- particularly in my line of business -- many
employers have discovered that permitting employees to make reasonable
personal use of company resources improves employee morale and
productivity.  (One could conceivably even attempt to measure the cost
and write it off as an employee benefit....)

So, in short, I don't expect office networking costs to be a
significant issue in the adoption of digital radio.

-GAWollman