Re: MIT radio flea market

At 04:47 PM 4/9/2000 EDT, you wrote:
>slightly radio related....   : )
>Does anyone know anything about the MIT Radio/Electronics Flea Market?  It
>begins April 16 and runs 3rd Sunday of each month.   I was thinking of going
>with the hopes of maybe finding a used GE SuperRadio, or a couple of old
>transistor radios, or maybe something shortwave related.  Would I be lucky
>find any of those things there?  I've always wanted to go, but if it's just

There are often people selling Transoceanics, and other shortwave
portables, not to mention antique radios.  I nearly bought a Sony ICF6800W
from a vendor one year (ended up not doing it and being sorry, but I can't
collect everything I like...)

I have not yet seen Superadios for sale, but I have seen lots of transistor
radios.  My home stereo system was bought in pieces at the Flea.  (Got a
decent Nikko reciever for $20, a Pioneer tape deck for $15, u-fix-it;  and
I did!)  Many radios sold at the Flea (my guess!) do work but are surplus
to somebody's needs.  A good sense of what you want and what you can
pay--and a set of batteries to try out radios--is essential.

So yes, it's a good way to spend a Sunday morning.  I wish I could say I
would definitely be there for the April flea, but I expect to have family
obligations that will keep me away.

Good luck and take care,

Dave

David Moisan, N1KGH   ARES/SKYWARN                dmoisan@shore.net