Re: Census 2000 And It's Impact On Future Format Changes

The formatic changes have been happening already--no need to wait for the
cencus results, particularly in Los Angeles.  With the Clear Channel/AMFM
merger, several suburban FMs were spun off to Spanish language
broadcasters.  Hispanic has a cluster in LA, and Big City recently flipped 3
suburban FM's (the syncronous 107.1 stations) to Spanish as "Viva 107."
There seems to be a wide variety of stations there doing Spanish language
programming, up from two full signal FM's just a couple of years ago.

In Philly, there are already two FM Urbans, an Urban AC, a Jammin' Oldies
station and several AM's with programming targeted to the black community.
A similar situation exists in Chicago.  However, there is still a sizable
white population in the suburbs of both cities, so the mainline formats
won't be bailing for urban anytime soon.

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Mediabase 24/7