Re: EAS on Maine Public Radio

At 6:17 PM -0500 3/28/00, Dib9@aol.com wrote:
>I was listening to Maine Things Considered tonight on Maine Public Radio's
>Portland outlet.  In a 15 minute period, the show was interrupted for EAS
>reports.  One was for flooding on the Penobscot River and one for flooding on
>the Saco River in Conway, NH, both outside the station's coverage area.  Was
>it necessary for Maine Public Radio to carry these reports on their Portland
>station?  Why are they carrying NH warnings?  I realize that Maine Public
>Radio is the main carrier for these reports in Maine but can't they localize
>the reports on each of their stations?  I notice a similar practice last
>summer with programming on the Portland station being interrupted for
>Thunderstorm warnings in northern Maine.

I doubt that MPR has the ability to feed each station separately.  I
seem to remember that when they restored the network after the ice
storms two years ago that they had to have all the locations up,
because the program is relayed from one site to the next.

The Conway, NH area is most definitely within the coverage area of WMEA.
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH