Re: NERW 3/24: WFAU Loses A Tower, WFNX Gains A State, NERW VisitsCalifornia...

In a message dated 3/24/00 11:20:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
fybush@world.std.com writes:

<< *The rumors in RHODE ISLAND turned out to be true: Steve Mindich is
 indeed buying WWRX (103.7 Westerly) from Clear Channel in one of the
 final spinoffs of the AMFM purchase.  No price has been put on the
 deal, though we're hearing 16-18 times cash flow rumored.  The move
 will give Mindich's FNX modern-rock network a huge boost to the south,
 picking up everywhere from the far southern suburbs of Boston (where
 flagship WFNX 101.7 Lynn is blasted by Clear Channel's WWBB 101.5
 Providence) all the way to eastern Connecticut. >>

I am flabbergasted by this...

1.) Where is he getting the money for this one?! (It's gotta run in the $5-10
million range at least, right?) Remember, the Phoenix in Boston just went
free too.

2.) How much longer will 'WRX spin classic rock and Imus?

3.) Do you think he'd be stupid enough to make Providence merely a repeater,
like Portland and Peterborough? After all, signal-wise 103.7 will be the
strongest of them all -- I live in South Boston and, if I want to pick it up,
don't have a problem doing so.

Wonder what the folks at WBCN think about this one, since they have always
done well in the Providence book from what I gather...

-Sean