Re: 1690 Military Y2K Testing

Wasn't the very first Ex-band station a week-long
experiment from a mobile TX located in a place like
Aberdeen MD (or some such)? And didn't the mobile
station use the calls KTRK (K TRUCK--because it was
broadcasting from a truck) during its entire week-long
existence in the US? And when the experiment was over,
didn't the Army then ship the mobile station off to the
Persian Gulf or Kosovo or some other strife-torn area?
Could it be, then, that the truck and the transmitter
survived their sojurn overseas and the DoD has returned
them to the US to test the Y2K compliance of something
or other (maybe the tape loop)? This sounds like a
really important military operation :-)

> Tuesday morning (Feb 29, 2000) between 01:00 and 02:00
> I was monitoring a constantly looping tape from an
> unIDed station.
> The loop basically went as follow:
>
> beep...This is a public service announcement.
> Southeast United States Special Military Services is
> conducting Y2K testing under simulated battezone
> conditions. Some of this testing was previously
> performed on a limited basis on Sept 9, 1999,   Dec 31
> into Jan 1, ........ and  we are currently testing Feb
> 28 into Feb 29.
>
> This was on 1690 kHz mixing with the (1on1|?) sports
> talk station on freq.
> The carrier dropped exactly at 02:00 EST and the
> usually dominant talk sports station became dominant
> again.

Isn't the 1690 station WNML, the sports animal, somewhere in Alabama?