Re: TV channels

<<On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 00:49:56 -0500, Larry Weil <kc1ih@mac.com> said:

> Channels 4 and 5 are not actually adjacent, there is a 4 MHz gap
> between them, used for other purposes.  I believe the gap
> frequencies (72 - 76 MHz) were originally used for land-mobile
> services

Some older cable systems used channel 4A to reduce ingress
interference on channel 4.  (Channel 4A is 70-76 MHz.)  The cable
plant at the University of Vermont, when I was there, was split so
that channels 5 and below were used for the reverse channel, and my
employer at the time ran a broadband data network on channel pairs
4A up/R down and 5 up/T down.  (Anybody else remember the old lettered
cable channel system?)

-GAWollman